9.30.2005

Updates...

I've been doing a piss-poor job at posting things in my blogs recently, and whether that's going to change or not, I can't say, but here's a post for today...


Joey's doing well, about to finish his first full week on Ritalin. I've noticed that here the past 3 weeks or so, I've really been making a conscious effort to keep myself in check and not get upset with him, but calmly ask him to do things that I would like for him to do, make sure to ask him politely so that he understands that is how he is supposed to ask for things. When he starts getting out of line, I ask him in a calm voice to stop what he's doing. When he's not paying attention, I will say "excuse me" and get his attention. I have noticed a major improvement in his attitude towards things. He has only had a couple incidents in the last week to 10 days where he has had to be put in time out, which is amazing considering there for a while, he was doing things 2 or 3 times a day.

As I've said before, I'm not a big believer in medicating children to fix problems (other than illnesses, of course), but when it came to Joey, I realized that something HAD to be done, that something had to take place to help him calm down and to help us to change his behavior. I know, especially now after talking with my parents about it, that I had the same kinds of problems when I was Joey's age, pretty much up until I was in 2nd and 3rd grade, when my parents took me to a behavioral therapist. I was one of the lucky ones, though, I was not put on any kinds of medication. However, Cindy has been on Ritalin, and several other drugs, since she was a kid to help keep her ADHD in check. And, I think that Joey's got both things from us. He has my intelligence, because much like I did when I was a kid, he gets bored with things easily, and he jumps from thing to thing to thing, trying to keep his attention. He's also got the ADHD from Cindy. So, I think for Joey, it's going to take a mix of the two, the medication and the behavorial therapy. I am glad that things are starting to turn around for him.

My grandfather's surgery went well last Friday. His surgeon was able to bring the murmur back in check and my grandfather is doing MUCH better than he was at this time last week. I saw my grandparents this past Tuesday night, and my grandfather looked the best that he's looked in months, maybe even in years. I'm so relieved that the surgery went well for him, and that it was able to help him. It was nice to see my mother again, so soon after their last trip here, especially. It would've been nice to see my dad too, but he has been pretty busy with work, so I understand why he couldn't. My aunt (the one who hasn't really been talking to me for the past...oh.... 5 YEARS!!!) actually talked to me, gave me a hug and a kiss on the cheek. Maybe the whole situation with my grandfather made her realize that family really is more important than her petty ass issues that she's been hanging onto for years and causing problems in the family. Who knows. I know that I sure as hell don't, but oh well.

I think that's about it that I want to update everyone on for right now. If I think of anything else, I'll let ya know. :P

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home